The Lantern Music Trust exists to preserve the renowned tradition of excellent music at Blackburn Cathedral.
There is a long held belief that a church dedicated to St Mary can be dated to the year 596 and the Cathedral Choir has sung under that name since the Diocese of Blackburn was formed in 1926.
The Trust seeks to ensure that, irrespective of the Cathedral’s financial position, the security of the Cathedral’s music will be safeguarded. The Trust exists to raise sufficient capital to be able to support the Cathedral’s music in perpetuity. Whilst the Cathedral will always support its music, the recent pandemic has catalysed the sense of urgency about this work.
The Trust has applied for registration as a Charity, and with the fundraising regulator
Securing Our Future
To ensure the health and development of our Cathedral music, we need to secure funds to support:
• Salaries for the Music Department
• Recruiting choristers
• Maintenance of the world-famous Cathedral Organ
• Six Adult Singers
• Eight Junior Choral Scholars
• Administrative support
• Widening access for choristers via transport
• Taking the Choir out of the
• Cathedral to showcase our ministry
• Commissioning new works and purchasing new scores to maintain the Music Library
• Engaging Orchestral accompaniment for both liturgies and concerts
The Lantern Music Trust’s trustees consist of The Dean, Precentor, and Director of Music.
The first Honorary President is Dr John Bertalot.
The foundation Honorary Patrons are:
• Andrew Nethsingha - Organist of Westminster Abbey
• Paul Mealor - Royal Composer
• Sir Andrew Parmley - President of the Royal College of Organists
The Trust was launched in the Autumn of 2022 after receiving the promise of a six figure sum by a generous anonymous donor. The Trust now seeks to encourage others to build on this excellent foundation.
Become a Supporter
Become a supporter today and uphold the music of Blackburn Cathedral. The Trust seeks to attract and encourage:
Seraphs are supporters who donate £1,000 per year, encouraging the Trust to thrive.
Archangels support the trust by donating £500 per year.
Angels support the trust by donating £250 per year.
If you'd like to support the Lantern Music Trust in it's work, contact us by phone on 01254 277430 or email LiturgyAdmin@blackburncathedral.co.uk
You can also donate directly to the project via our justgiving page https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/lanternmusictrust